Friday, April 20, 2007




More attacks.


"Tonight in Mae La Refugee camp 40,000 people are sitting in their dark bamboo huts waiting for the terrible crack of light weapons, the dull thud and explosion of artillery, and the continuation of their displacement and abuse. The Thai authorities have banned all forms of light in the camp, including candles, to give the Burma Army less advantage on an offensive against this camp. This attack, they say, is imminent and should commence within hours of this email". (written by Partners eWorld)


Today I came into work and sat at my computer, as I was preparing to start my work I came across this email in my inbox. My heart immediately sank. Last year I travelled to Thailand with other fellow questers and we had a short stay at Maela Camp. Maela camp is a refuge for more than 50,000 people. It is located in Thailand and has been in existence for 20+ years. The one thing I learned in my stay there is that in the face of such oppression and persecution the Karen people held onto hope. I remember waking to the sounds of singing at 6 am in the morning and go to bed with the sounds of singing at 10 pm at night. While taking walks in the camp you could hear a choir of voices as they sang praises to God while doing their chores, walking to school, cooking and cleaning. Our last day in the camp we were asked to go to the hospital where men and women who were disabled as a result of the military regime stayed. We were able to go in and pray with these men and women and it struck me in the midst of their own personal struggles and adversities they took time to minister to us and allow joy to invade their lives and spill out onto our lives. My mind is being pulled towards these memories as I pray for safety in the midst of darkness and chaos.


In the wake of the recent events that have taken place here in Virginia I wonder: would we allow a group of people to come into any town in the states and burn down, displace, murder and destroy people and their homes? On the other side of the world innocent men, women and children are being threatened again and oppressed. Will no one help them? Will no one go to their aid and stop these attacks?


Please join me in prayer.


No comments: